Every day we get many CVs from people, who apply for the position of a Hotel Receptionist. A lot of them are really interested in work abroad in different hotels, but they haven’t experience in this area. Moreover they believe that we can find a job for them immediatly.
– Because I speak English well and and it is very easy work, – we often here the answer.
Ok, may be. But don’t be so self-assured. It is not so easy to join the team of 5-stars luxury hotel. So let’s try to speak about some tips.
Is it possible to get job in hospitality without experience? YES, SOMETIMES
Hotel receptionists are responsible for helping guests to make reservations, welcoming people to the hotel, answering questions and meeting the needs of guests during their stay. So receptionist is a “face” of the hotel, she or he has to be first of all pretty, even model-look, charming and friendly. So first of all, when you are going to be interviewed by your employer – take care about:
1. APPEARANCE – a pretty, сharismatic, charming person will have a chance to get such a job, sometimes even without experience. If you are friendly and easy-going, it is an advantage: welcome to hotel team. Our client, Anzhelika Khven from Ukraine, was a very lucky one. She became a reseptionist in the hotel in Arab Emirates without such previous experience and she is open to share her experience.
2. UNDERSTAND THE JOB DESCRIPTION.
Receptionists are expected to be professional, responsible and to be able to be multi-task. As job duties will vary from hotel to hotel, there are certain responsibilities that all hotel receptionists are required to manage. This includes handling reservations and cancellations, managing payments, answering questions, taking messages, managing the front desk and answering the phone. So if you haven’t experience, at least you have to offer yourself as the best multi-tasker (it can be proved by background, project work, temporal work in call-center, office-manager courses etc.)
Also you may say that your are very flexible – you can work at daytime, at night, on weekend, to work overtime.
3. Improve your COMMUNICATION SKILLS.
Take English and communications classes that will provide you with the ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Take maths and finance classes so you are prepared to handle with payments and money. Look for opportunities to take hospitality courses.
4. HAVE STRONG CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS.
During the interview you have to show that you are able to answer the questions, resolve complaints, maintain a cheerful, positive and professional attitude when dealing with customers. Working in a call center will give you the customer service experience that you need to become a hotel receptionist.
5. LOOK FOR JOB OPPORTUNITIES in advance. Prepare your CV in advance, not in a hurry, when you have found hot vacancy. Contact some recruiting companies, find the best ones. You have to know, that a lot of them can provide services for you free or charge. International recruiting company ClarusApex offers you the best vacancies with good prospects for FREE.
We place in a job people from 46 countries. Our customers are brand hotels all over the world. We offer professional recruiting, executive search, pre-tested and high quality candidates. Most of them are from Ukraine, Russia, Belorussia, Kazakhstan and Moldova.
We respect our customers and they are happy to deal with us.